What is a Game Convention?
A game convention is a gathering of game enthusiasts, industry workers, dealers (both retail and manufacturer), and the like for the purpose of playing, selling, buying, and trading games.
At first it may seem odd to pay to play games. After all, one could always just ask some friends over to play stuff off the shelf at home. A convention (con, for short) is a bit more than that:
- It allows you to meet others that share your hobby.
- It lets you see the people who create the games you obsess over.
- It lets you network to expand your gaming circle.
- It lets you try things you might not ever have come near at home.
- It provides a place for amazing displays of fan creativity (like huge playing sets, elaborate costumes, and intricate dioramas).
- In the end, it gives you a sense of a community with people who love games as much as you do.
- You might even have a great game system already worked out and are just looking for a publisher!
(Good luck with that last one...)
We're compiling a list of links to various game conventions. Most of these take place in the United States of America. If you have a convention listing, and would like to add it to our list, please contact us. We're glad to help!